Message Passing Interface; MPI
- A standardized and portable message-passing system
- Not a new language —— Library of functions
- Scales to over 100k processors
- Runs on distributed memory cluster systems.
- Explicit parallel programming (unlike OpenMP)
- No shared variables (unlike OpenMP)
MPI’s Execution model
- All processors execute same program, but with difference data. (no fork & join)
- Variable on each are all private.
- Data that must be shared is explicitly send between processors.
Distributed Memory Cluster
Data sent over Network:
- MPI on SMP machine
- You can run MPI program on SMP (Symmetric Multiprocessing) machine.
- Variables are not shared (all private).
Brief Tutorials for Programming Languages
Note: See TracWiki for help on using the wiki.